Monday, October 7, 2013

Adult Summer Intensive 2013 @Western Ballet

There was a summer intensive @ Western Ballet in August. This was the major cause of me doing pointe work!

Ramon Moreno taught the workshop. It was 3 Saturdays from 9am-1pm. 1.5 hr technique class, then 1 hour variation and 1 hour pas de deux class. Clearly, I didn't even have a pair of pointe shoes, and joined the class anyway for experience.

Part 1 - Technique class

This was my normal weekend routine, so there's nothing special about it. The only difference is that, it was my regular workout routine for the weekend, but this time, it was only for a warmup purpose!

Part 2 - Pas de deux

This was the most fun part of the workshop! And the best part is, the guys who were helping us were either professionals or super experienced amateur dancers. There were about 8 girls and 4 guys. The variations we learned were pretty simple, but if you are a first timer like me... it won't be that easy for you!

Part 3 - Variation

We learned classic variations of Giselle and Paquita. It was super fun. We also had to do our solos at the end, so paying attention is a must! We also get personalized corrections in the end.
I am not good enough to do variation en pointe yet. But even doing so in ballet slippers was challenging enough.

It's not an all day dance class or a week long, but it was very inspiring. After the first intensive course, I found myself at the ballet studio 6-7 times a week. I wanted to work on my strength to do pointe work correctly. It ended up being very expensive and time consuming, but I couldn't be happier with my new routine!

Western ballet is planning to have Winter intensive in January, and of course, I signed up for that already :)

No comments:

Post a Comment