Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My new journey!

My first dance experience was a gymnastic class. I was 4 years old. Soon after I started ballet. When I was in 2nd grade, I went to a new ballet studio, and I was the best student there. I had a pre-professional training till I was in the 5th grade or so, and just started going en pointe. Soon after I had to stop. In junior high and high school, every time there was a dance related PE class, I felt like something was missing. I missed my intense training. In college, I took various of dance classes, but nothing was serious enough for me. I did competitive ballroom dancing from 2007-2011, and it partially satisfied my love/passion/need to dance.

I started going to a ballet studio again in September of 2012, and had no desire of performing, intense training nor going en pointe. It was a beginner class, and I was so lost during center work. It took me a while to get used to the routine. A lot of days, I would drive to the studio, sit in the parking lot and was debating whether I should dance or not. I promised myself that if the lesson gets too hard or tiring, I would leave whenever. That's one good thing about being in adult class. I've been taking minimum of 3 technique classes for almost a year but didn't have any desire to wear pointe shoes.

In August of 2013, there was a summer intensive program for adults at my studio. The program included technique class, pas de deux, and variation class. From 9am to 1pm on Saturdays.

That was my first pas de deux ever, and I didn't even own a pair of pointe shoes. The first class I went, I was so hooked. And I realized why it's "strongly suggested" that you wear pointe shoes to pas de deux class. That afternoon, I drove to a local dance store to get a pair of pointe. Everyday, I practiced doing releves "at the barre - in my kitchen." That Saturday, I wore pointe shoes to pas de deux and had the best time of my life. Sure, it was my first time after twenty something years since I've been en pointe, but I actually remembered a lot of things. My classmates didn't believe me when I said it was my first time. Well, technically, it's not my first time, but two decades later... it's pretty much the same.

Since then, I am taking about 6-7 technique classes, one pointe private, one pointe group class per week.

Winter intensive 2014 is coming up and I already signed up for the class.

I am starting this blog to share my journey as an adult ballerina! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment